Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Random Bits

The Stem Cell Transplant was very uneventful. That is exactly what we wanted! Yeah! I was a the hospital at 8:00 a.m. and arrived home at 8:00 p.m. I was feeling a bit hyper, wired or pumped. I am not sure which adjective applies best so I shall use all three.

As a result of my restless, energetic mood I decided to take on the fridge. I threw out bags of stuff from both the fridge and freezer. Probably the funniest item I disposed of was lard. Yes ...lard! I had four boxes of the stuff. I have no idea how many years the lard has been living in my freezer. "Why were there four boxes of lard in your freezer?" you may ask. "Were you planning to make an extreme amount of pie?"I am one of those people who forget what they have already stocked, don't bother with a shopping list preferring to keep everything filed in the brain. As I walk up and down the aisles of the grocery store I will randomly toss items into the cart that I think I really need. Doing the math, I apparently decided I needed lard three extra times. This in itself is very bizarre behavior because I usually am too busy to make my pastry from scratch. I have not done this for years and years! Adding to my bizarre behavior, I am one of those people who does not like to waste anything! I am also a person who would never use a product if I thought it had become too old, unsafe or unstable. The funny thing about this was the fact that I had to talk myself into throwing out the lard!

I cannot believe how much room in the fridge I have now! All that is left of this chore is to give it a really good washing. I did some quick spot cleaning. I no longer have stray blueberries partying in the freezer when the door is closed.

After yesterday and in spite of having a not to bad of a sleep, I am tired, listless, lazy and am having trouble getting myself in the shower to get going. I want to just sit here and have another cup of coffee. "Come on Chris...one- two-three...up you go...come on...uuuup!

After the one-two-three up, I noticed as I passed by the window that it is now storming. After checking with the weather network...further scrutinizing the situation via visual exam of how far I can see ( visibility check) and phoning John...we decided that I should stay put until the weather calms down somewhat. I have to make sure that I can get home tonight as Mike has gone to Regina and the dog's bladder capacity is about nine hours... otherwise I could have just stayed in Saskatoon for the night. I think I shall go back to bed and have a little extra snooze.


Eve said...

Tired, listless, lazy - that pretty well sums up my life. lol Glad to hear things went well. I've been putting off cleaning my freezer. I don't have any lard lurking in there (I have never bought or used lard) but I'm sure I have a few blueberries throwing a party. I've got some veggies that have become completed dessicated, too. I sometimes buy stuff I think I should be eating. Then I never use it 'cause I really don't like frozen veggies.

Sandy C. said...

Glad to hear the transplant went uneventful...

So...you've cleared the fridge, eh? Does that mean Fridge Friday for you?? :) nothing makes pie crust and pastries taste better than some lard! I've learned the hard way that is key ;)

jientje said...

I'm so glad everything went well! This morning while I was cutting
Brie, I could not help thinking about it, and I prayed and hoped everything had gone well!

I have to clear out my freezer too, I had two year old foie gras sitting in there, I don't think I'd still want to eat that either!!!
So I threw that away last week, but there is still a couple of shelves left to do in there!
I think I will have to do Fridge Friday, since my muze has left me, and I have to work instead of having my day off! We were planning a little day trip on Friday, you know, to celebrate his birthday, but my colleague had an urgent opertation and I have to work extra hours! Aaarrrggg! Well ... yes,I know, there's worse things than that, I should not whine, especially not to you!

John said...

If my lovely wife has given any of you the impression that she is a horder of food, she is leading you down the garden path. Oh, she puts stuff in containers and than into the fridge, but then refuses to let me eat it. It will only be worse now that I am on this low microbial diet. I will never get leftovers anymore. Hmmm,this might not be a bad thing. Go Beazley.

Christine said...

Hmmmm...I don't hoard food...just lard! Hahahaha! Sweetheart...darling man...Owla Brun...I only don't let you eat old, old stuff that you have dragged out of the back of the fridge that I somehow missed pitching into the garbage.

jientje said...

Hehehe, I love this conversation here!!! So does this really mean he is getting better fast! If he's already reading and commenting on your blog?
Hmmmm, those candles do a great job then?

Christine said...

He is feeling pretty good for now. By tomorrow or the next day he will start to loose his immune system and it will take around 10 days to start to come back. He could have a few lousy days ahead yet.