Sunday, December 16, 2007

Opps...The Real Pepper Nut Recipe

Please disregard the previous pepper nut recipe that I had posted...twas wrong. My mother-in-law was over today and I showed her the recipe that I had posted and informed her that I was going to make some and she said that was the wrong recipe. That recipe was for ginger snaps plus she changes the sugar when she makes it. I do not know how well that recipe would work out even for ginger snaps. Anyway here is the correct recipe.

1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup syrup (I am guessing molasses or maybe a dark syrup like Rogers syrup)
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
5 to 6 cups flour (you might need a little more)

Cream sugar, eggs and butter. Add syrup and buttermilk. then add the sifted dry ingredients. Mix to form a soft dough. Shape into 1 inch thick rolls and cool in fridge for better handling. Cut into about 1 inch lengths, separating the pieces, put on a greased cookie sheet and and bake at 350F until golden brown.

Oh...I hope I did not lead anybody astray.

6 comments:

Jientje said...

Well thanks! You know, that recipe has been on my kitchen table and on my things to do list for at least two weeks now, and I did not get round to it. Yesterday I wanted to do it, but I couldn't because I had no eggs!
Okay, now I'll have to get eggs and buttermilk too! Anyway, I'll make a post of making them, with pictures and all, so if they come out wrong ..... !!!!! Hehehehehe!

Jientje said...

Oh and euh ... now why does that not surprise me?

Momisodes said...

mmmm...these sound yummy. I will have to try these when I start to feel a bit better :) I think I may let my daughter help too....If I'm in the mood to clean!

Unknown said...

thnaks for shraing the recipe..Will try to make one when both my daughters are getting better.:)

DabookLady said...

Ok Chris I see that you posted the recipe...be sure that you link to my contest on your blog.. or at least list the site's address on your blog... http://dabookrecipe.blogspot.com/2007/12/new-recipe-contest.html

Sandy Bremner Designs said...

Voila! This is the closest Pepper Nut recipe I've come across to the one I wrote down (erroneously, I think) when I was in Third grade - over 40 years ago. Mine calls for 5 lbs sugar, 4 lbs dark karo syrup, 2T butter, 1t brn sugar, 1 pt sour cream, 1 pt. sweet cream, 1 pt milk, 3t clove, 2t nutmet, 1t black pepper, 3t cinnamon, 1/2t cardamon, 7 t baking powder, enough flour to make dough stiff. Curious what your mom thinks. I never made it because I was intimidated by the pounds of sugar and syrup.