Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Dumb And Really Stupid Ticket!

I am back home and am fine. We were away for a little bit, that is all. Sorry if I worried any of you. We had a nice trip and a great visit with the grand kids. It was a busy time due to the house selling and house buying that is going on in grand kid land but I did have some great help from my four year old grandson Ben in the home selling cleaning preparations. He vacuumed, dusted and picked up the stuff from the floor that I was having trouble reaching. I did something rotten to my back. I don't have a clue what I did but it is hard to bend at the waist and reach the floor. He was such a sweetheart. Every now and again he would ask me: "How is the cleaning going Grandma? Can I do anything?" What a perfect child. I do not remember my kids being so amicable but possibly I have simply forgotten how easy it is to trick a four year old into thinking housework is fun. I had such a fun afternoon with him. I had him all to myself. The grandpa and the mommy were out shopping to get the things they needed for some home repairs to make the place more presentable for selling. We went to the store later and picked something out as a reward.

We got home Sunday evening. Monday we were busy with appointments. The appointment at the renal clinic went well. John's kidneys are now functioning at 42 percent so that is 5 percent better than they preformed last summer. I did not know that they would still have the ability to improve.

On our way from the Renal clinic to go to the Cancer Center, we got stopped by one of the boys in blue. Here are a few adjectives to describe our reaction to the ticket he gave us: Flabbergasted, confused, incredulous and disgusted. Here is one choice adjective to describe the ticket: IDIOTIC! The infraction: Unlawful use of sunscreen on the front side windows. The penalty: $115.00 and removal of sunscreen and present the vehicle to the police to prove said removal by Feb. 5, 2009 or auto insurance will be canceled. We did not know that this was illegal. The car was sold to us this way. We will be phoning the Beemer dealer where we bought the car and tell them thank you ever so much for taking care of so well. When John brought it to the attention to the officer of all the other vehicles driving by us that had the same sunscreen (we figure about 40 percent of the cars out there have it) the officer told John "Ummm, we have not caught them yet sir." Hahahaha! THEY HAVE NOT CAUGHT THEM YET? I wonder, do they plan on it? Well, I guess that would be much, much easier and much safer than going after all the real criminals out there. I wanted to ask him if we could get a charitable donation receipt for the ticket but I bit my tongue. One thing that I know for sure, John sure does seem to attract dumb tickets. He got one last summer for parking off the dirt road onto the prairie grass when we were at Lake Diefenbaker. The signage for that was tiny and somewhat hidden in the bushes. I could go on some more and itemize other tickets the poor man has got that are nothing but thinly disguised money grabs but I think I will spare you plus my back is hurting and I need to sit in a different chair for awhile.

14 comments:

Becky said...

Every time I come on your blog Sammy gets SO excited. "There's Gramma in the chicken house!!!!!!!!"

That's all.

Christine said...

I wish it was summer and we were all out in the cabin (chicken) house. I think that boy likes chickens as much as I do.

Jientje said...

Hi!! I'm glad you're okay!
Except for the ticket that is, of course!
Our new car has been like a magnet for tickets, ever since we bought it! Unbelievable! And dumb ones too. My hubs parked his car too close to the corner of the street, said the officer who wrote him a ticket.
But that officer's motor bike was parked BEHIND him! DUH!!

footsack said...

Sorry to hear about your ticket. That sucks. I cannot believe he would give you a ticket and not just a warning since you didn't even know! That is not even nice!

Lucy said...

Glad you are back and sounds like you enjoyed the grandkids.

That ticket sounds ridiculous. Couldn't he have just given you a warning? Oh, well, I guess you have to look at it as charity.

Sue said...

Sounds like you had a great visit.
The ticket is ridiculous. We have a friend who got one here in town for having his seat belt twisted. It was as much $$ as not having it on at all. I think they get bored and try to come up with the stupidest ticket possible contest with the other officers and probably win a prize at the Annual Policeman's Ball or have a quota that they have to fill for the day.

The Invisible Mo said...

Seems like since you bought the car that way, there should be some sort of out for that ticket. Can you go to court with it, like some do here?

Christine said...

Going to court will be a waste of time. The onus is on the owner to know the rules.

Unknown said...

The only two tickets I can remember FabGrandpa getting are:

1. he was not wearing a seatbelt
2. he was driving 2 miles over the speed limit. yeah, 2 miles.

what a rip off!

Saucy said...

That is too bad about the ticket! It sucks. Veto bought a Beemer up from the US last summer and he took it to the dealership for a Canada/US inspection and they took the sunscreen off right away! I suppose you should be able to go to the dealership and they should cover the ticket!!

... said...

that's crazy! and ridiculous, too. like you said, i would think there's better ways the police could spend their time. and you'd think they could give you a warning about it. the department must be desperate for money. do you think the dealership will do anything to help you out? seems like they should have some responsibility =(

Momisodes said...

Oh geez! That really sounds like such a bogus ticket. I'm so sorry that happened. What a headache.

Sounds like you've been really busy. Glad to hear you're okay.

Eve said...

How's your back? I think it's wonderful that you were able to be nice enough to get the 4-year-old cleaning when you were in pain. I've developed a terrible tendency to yell when I am in pain. I'm not a nice person sometimes.

I love your stories. Sorry about the ticket, but you did bring a smirk to my face. Thanks for all the laughs.

DaCraftyLady said...

Oh my I agree,I have a Ca CTS and all the windows are tinted and they come that way from the dealer....sooo how can we get a ticket??? It is not right to ticket us for a mistake on the dealers part????? Your g-kids are sweet, teahcing grade school allows me to really appreciate "good" kids stories of consideration and helpfullness... :)